ICE hosts and/or coordinates a wide range of activities that fall around four major programming areas namely:
• Extension and Farmer's Education
• Continuing Education
• Educational Technology
• Distance Learning and Correspondence
Extension and farmer's education
This programming area covers all matters related to:
• Identifying farmers’ training needs, planning and conducting short training programmes to meet these needs;
• Planning and executing extension activities in communities;
• Conducting demonstrations based on recommendations from on-going research in the University and elsewhere;
• Planning and organizing field days and various shows in collaboration with other university departments.
Most campus and off-campus based residential training fall under this area. Activities involved include:
• Planning and coordinating in-service training programmes;
• Identifying appropriate and suitable resource persons from within and outside the University.
ICE provides different services under this programming area. The services include audio-visual facilities that support both conference and teaching activities. SUATV is also an education technology facility managed by the ICE.
Distance education and correspondence
This area embraces distance education activities that will enable the University to extend its boundaries beyond its campuses.